CIVIL wAR tRAINING cAMP
On Saturday, August 11th at 2:00pm , we are honored to be unveiling and dedicating a new monument at Camp Kane. We will be adding a replica of the First Shot Marker erected at Gettysburg in 1882.
Co. E of the 8th Illinois Cavalry was among the first Union troops on the field at Gettysburg on June 30th, 1863 and participated in the four day Battle of Gettysburg.
It was Lt. Marcellus Jones of Co. E who is credited with having fired the first shot in the Battle of Gettysburg. Jones was on an advanced unit watch when he fired at a Confederate officer on horseback as the Confederates moved into range at Seminary Ridge on June 30th.
The monument is being donated by the James Fraley family of Sandwich, IL. It was their Great, Great Grandfather, Morgan Hughes who was a bugler for Company E and with Jones when he fired the First Shot.
Come join us on Saturday, Aug. 11th at 2 p.m. as we dedicate the newest addition to the original Civil War training site of the 8th and 17th Illinois Cavalries. Camp Kane is located at Langum Park, on Rt. 25, St. Charles, IL. along the Fox River just north of Geneva, IL.
Actual first shot marker at Gettysburg
We would like to extend our deepest appreciation to Omron Automotive for volunteering to install landscaping at the Camp Kane Memorial on May 17, 2018.
They along with the team at B&L Landscaping and Craig Bobowiec made sure the new Memorial would look great for the Summer.
Thank you Omron Automotive and B&L Landscaping for all the hard work. It looks great!